Who Are All Those Protestors?

It is all over the news. Protestors have been sitting on Wall Street for almost three weeks now, and the protesting seems to be spreading to Chicago, Los Angeles, and other cities across the United States. It may be international too. Occupytogether.com mentions several groups that are offshoots of the original protest, some as far away as Prague, Melbourne, and Montreal. The question is why? Why are these groups protesting? Many of the participants are out of work, and they are fairly young. Many, at least as of today, were wearing zombie costumes. I’ll explain why shortly.

The main reason they are protesting seems to be focused on major corporations. The protestors are angry about the large bonuses paid to companies bailed out by the government. They are also complaining about large companies poisoning our food though negligence, while management strips employees of the ability to negotiate stronger benefit packages. This sounds so much like Karl Marx. His critique of capitalism described many of the very elements that these people are protesting. But are these people protesting capitalism or is managerial abuse being placed under the microscope? Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

The fact is the top 1% of wage earners have had their portion of our national income increase while the rest of us 99% have not been so fortunate. I actually saw one of the protestors have a sign around their neck stating they were a part of the 99%. Also, the zombies were walking around exclaiming they are tired of working for 40 hours but struggling to make ends meet. Many of the protestors are young people out of work.

I am afraid that we are going to see much more of this type of activity. The gap between the haves and the have nots is becoming greater. As this becomes more prevalent frustration will overcome sensibility and we’ll have more people dressed like zombies.

And that is my thought for the day!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s